Oh wait...I do own that horse! It was Misty!
Yesterday Misty and I went on a trail ride with two of our equestrian neighbors. It was only our 3rd trail ride of the year. The first two trail rides were good, but there were minor issues to work through.
- Drainage culverts to cross where the dirt changes and horse-eating pipes protrude from each side.
- Mountain bikers riding up behind us with little or no warning.
- Tree stumps and gnarly wooded shapes that look like strange beasts.
- Hikers with dogs off-leash
- Misty trying to eat every pine tree we pass.
- Regulating our pace along the trail. (Misty can be a speed walker)
- Circles, circles, and more circles.
- Motion sickness. (Don't eat lunch and drink soda pop shortly before riding a draft horse with a big, lumbering stride.)
Unfortunately I have no pictures. My camera is hiding from me. I know I could find it if I did some house cleaning. But right now, this bumper sticker from Horse Hollow Press is my motto:
September is offering up some of the best riding weather of the year. We must take advantage of it. Soon enough, the snow will fall and there will be plenty of time for house cleaning then. (I promise Mr. OnceUpon).