Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hobby Horse Blog Hop Week 1

Thanks, Dreaming, for starting this fun blog hop.


Hobby Horse Blog Hop Prompts - Week 1:
  1. Tell us about your first horse, real or imagined.

    After years of begging and pleading, my father bought me a pony - a gorgeous strawberry roan Welsh pony stallion with a red mane and tail.  I wrote about him at the beginning of my blog here.

  2. What lesson(s) did you learn from a horse?

    There are too many to list them all and I continue to learn every day, but let me share one simple, real-life lesson I learned the hard way.

    • Never sit on your horse (even a gentle, well-broke horse) with one leg draped over his withers (sort of sitting side saddle).  When I was young, I sat like that on my Thoroughbred gelding outside the arena at a hunter/jumper show.   My horse was relaxed and half asleep.  I was perched sideways with my right leg crossed over his withers, my left foot still in the left stirrup.  I was resting and very relaxed while watching the horse and rider competing in the arena on the jumping course. Suddenly, the horse in the arena knocked a fence down.  The sound of the fence crashing to the ground spooked my snoozing steed and he jumped sideways. I fell off my 17hh Thoroughbred, backwards.  I've never sat on a horse like that since, but I see young riders doing it all the time.  It's just not wise.  Be alert and always keep safety in mind.

  3. What riding discipline intrigues you the most?

    I'm getting in touch with my inner cowgirl, so I'm working on my western riding skills and looking forward to doing lots of trail riding this summer.
Now, here's a question for you to ponder:
What is your favorite color of horse?

6 comments:

  1. I hope to trail ride, too this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh.... a young stallion pony..... oh, my. Clyde sounds really cute, though. I am partial to 'horses of a different color'!
    I can see you toppling backwards right now. I know that I've sat like that, in my youth - I guess I was lucky. Usually, thought, my position of repose was to put my calves in front of the knee rolls on my saddle - it doesn't work on a western saddle, but it sure was comfy and relaxing on my English saddle.
    I laughed when I saw your question. I put that as one of the discussion questions for next week! Since the blog hop is just getting started ... maybe I'll still use it!
    As I said above, I like something different when it comes to color. I love dapple grays and roans. I also think a grulla horse is striking.
    Thanks for joining the hop. It will be fun to see if it spreads a bit and others hop on board.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Clyde was a saint! There aren't many sweet pony stallions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clyde sounds like a cutie. Love the whole Bonnie and Clyde reference the breeder took.

    I think you're right about waiting to geld, it must be a guy thing. Glad you had so much fun with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would have loved to have had a pony like that when I was a kid. I was never allowed to have one with all the begging and pleading I did. I was 48 when I got my first horse and still have her. She is now 13 and blind but I still love her. She is a sorrel in winter and a roan appy in the summer but my favorite color would have to be black, or buckskin, or pinto, or palomino, or bay, or well I like them all

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great first pony!

    My favorite color is easy . . . black! One of the things I love about Friesians lol.

    I'm looking forward to doing the blog hop from now on. It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete