Friday, May 13, 2016

Back in the Saddle...Again

Hello there! It's been a really long time and I'm sorry I've been away so long. Life got in the way. You know how that can happen.

I've been short on energy; enduring pain from several injuries (left elbow, left shoulder, right knee) incurred during my trail riding accident in July 2014, which kept be out of the saddle for nine months. Golly, it's been almost two years and I'm still not back to normal and don't think I ever will be. Had to have surgery on my left shoulder a few months ago; a debridement. The doc went in arthroscopically and shaved off bones spurs and removed damaged tissue...which ended up being all of my cartilage. That was another three months unable to ride or even halter my horse.

My knee is still swollen, still painful, and I get gel injections every 6 months.

Whhaaaaa! I don't mean to be a cry baby, but I am tired and in chronic pain, so I whine sometimes. But I love my horse and I love to ride, so I'm not going to let it keep me down for long.

I'm back in physical therapy and back in the saddle for a 2nd time following a medical layoff in two years.  Let me tell you, these are tough come backs. It's hard to crawl back into the saddle after a bad injury or when you feel weakness and pain in your body. Confidence takes a hit each time. But I'm workin' on it.

Last summer, after my first comeback, I did have some good times with my sweet Misty mare and we accomplished some new things. We participated in a few western dressage schooling shows and we went horse camping at Elk Haven Horse Camp in South Dakota. My wonderful husband came with me and helped me set up camp and take care of Misty and he hiked with me while I rode. Good times! I couldn't have done it without him.

And much thanks to my trainer, Anna Blake, for helping me back in the saddle that first time. That first ride was on a lead line; I was terrified; it lasted only for a couple of minutes, and I was so sore I couldn't get out of bed the next day. It took baby steps. Anna is helping me again post-surgery, only this time we didn't need the lead line and I'm taking toddler steps.

Summer 2015 - first western dressage show.
Summer 2015 - trail riding in South Dakota
Now, as I'm working my way back...again; I'm looking forward to summer 2016. We have plans! Dressage lessons (maybe some schooling shows), trail riding, and camping. Yay for summer. Yay for physical therapy (my therapist gives me exercises to simulate lifting my saddle onto Misty's back). Yay for Tylenol and Aleve, my constant companions. Good times ahead. Let's ride.


8 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you! Glad you are getting back in the saddle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about all of your injuries but glad to see you are back in the saddle!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to blogging and riding. It scares me to know that you are still in so much pain after all this time. It makes me wonder if riding is worth the risk. I went back and read about your accident to refresh my memory. I can't believe you kept riding the rest of the day. You must have been in shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lingering injuries have surprised me too; pain is the new normal, but I'm hoping it will lessen in time. Yes, I think I was in shock and had no idea how badly I was hurt. It didn't look like a dramatic fall, I was told. Toward the end of the ride I was getting very exhausted. There was talk of riding a little longer and I spoke up and said I had to go back.

      Delete
  4. Commitment and courage; it's who you are. It's been rough over this time but I am always so impressed by you and Misty. Thank you for bringing me along on the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your Anna. I couldn't do it without you. You have helped me gain more confidence than I had before the accident.

      Delete
  5. Hooray for you! You are an amazing woman! And of course, Misty Mare is amazing herself! I hate that you hurt. No fun at all. I hope this fall and winter bring lots of healing your way!

    ReplyDelete