Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's My Sister's Fault

When I was about 9 years old my big sister began taking me horseback riding at a rental stable. I remember vividly the butterflies in my stomach. I wanted to ride so badly, but I was also scared. As we left the main road, and traveled up the long, winding drive to the stable, my sister would say, "Now, don't be scared because horses can sense when you are scared." Holy Cow!!! Was that supposed to put me at ease? Instead, it turned those little butterflies into raging pterodactyls in my gut. Heck yeah I was scared! But that didn't stop me. Even when one of the rental horses ran off with me, I wanted to come back for more. I was hooked. Soon the begging and the pleading began. "Dad, can I please, please, pleeeeeeeze have a horse?"

No comments:

Post a Comment