Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sluggish Saturday

Ah, the weekend. There is much to do, but I'm having a lazy day.

My family is in Hawaii for Spring break and I'm home holding down the fort, taking care of critters (2 horses, 2 dogs, 2 parrots), and keeping my nose to the grindstone trying to stay off my employer's upcoming layoff list (worrisome times in corporate America).

I woke up, fed the horses, then went back to bed.

Woke up again and made breakfast of corned beef hash and an egg.

I was planning to give Misty a make-over today because she's looking quite shaggy:



Instead, I watched Twilight on Pay Per View. It followed the book closely, but I enjoyed reading the book more.

I finally summoned up enough ambition to scoop poop in the pasture. The horses are off the pasture for the next few months while the grass comes in. We don't have the equipment for dragging the pasture, so it's just me, the wheel barrow, and a manure fork.

Green grass emerging from the ground is a welcome sight. But evidence of our resident varmints is not:



We have voles and pocket gophers living on our property. Cute little things, but a hazard to the horses. I used manure to fill some of the holes, but it is a never ending battle. Our next door neighbor likes to blow them up. We'll be sitting at the dinner table when we hear KABOOM!!! There he is, out there with his Rodenator. I don't like it. I think the survivors just move next door to our property anyway. I suggested to my husband that he trap the little fur balls and have them all neutered, but he already has a full time job.

So, anyway, I was on my second wheel barrow load when a big gust of wind did this:



That's when I lost my ambition and decided to come inside and order another Pay Per View movie.

What should I watch?

1. Bottle Shock - comedy. I don't drink wine, but it sounds like it could be funny.

2. Eagle Eye - action/adventure. I like suspense, but I'm in a more mellow mood tonight.

3. Flash of Genius - drama. My husband watched it on the flight to Oahu and enjoyed it.

4. Nights in Rodanthe - romance. It received lower reviews than the others, but Richard Gere is always good to look at.

Decisions, decisions.

Ok, romance wins.



4 comments:

  1. Scooping poop does not sound like a fun way to spend your time - just as well I'm not a horse person.

    Sounds like you made a good film choice. How was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqueline!

    Unfortunately, I must give "Nights of Rodanthe" a thumbs down. It was kind of weird and depressing for me. Even a brief scene with horses didn't redeem the movie.

    Scooping poop can be relaxing sometimes. Sort of like playing with a Mini Zen Garden. But not on a windy day or in the pasture where the tines of the fork get caught in the grass.

    I think I'll order a comedy on PPV today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi OnceUpon!
    Why don't you watch the horror movie "The Rodenator" instead, lol?

    I just had to laugh when I saw that commercial ad.

    When I was a kid my father did something similar with a kind of homemade trick. Something chemical in a box when added water went BANG and it smoked down in the hole.
    I am not sure that the rodents died, but it was very entertaining, both for us kids and my father!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny HorseOfCourse. It could also be a disaster movie. I read an article about someone starting a big grass fire with their Rodenator. Boys and their toys!

    ReplyDelete