Friday, March 13, 2009

Today in Denver

The Rocky Mountain Horse Expo began today. The Fjords were invited to participate in a parade from the state Capitol building in Denver to the National Western Complex expo grounds, about 4 miles. Some Colorado state legislators rode horses provided by The Westernaires drill team and some legislators rode in carts pulled by Fjords.

I participated as a side walker...and I have the blister to prove it!

Here are few very rough photos taken with my cell phone. I didn't have my glasses with me and sometimes wasn't sure I was even getting my subject in the camera window, but you'll get the idea.



The police directed the horse trailers onto the sidewalk at the Capitol building. I'm glad I wasn't driving!




The Westernaires big rig on the sidewalk, with horses tied on both sides.




Fjords gathering on the lawn in front of the Capitol building.




Dressage Fjord




Driving Fjord




This is an interesting team of 3 Suffolk Punch draft horses pulling 2 homemade wagons hitched together. The driver, Lee the Horse Logger, has been traveling the country by horse drawn wagon since August of 2006.

My blister was really starting to hurt and I was slowing down when Lee kindly offered me a ride. I hopped in and found 3 other ladies had hitched a ride with Lee too. It's really exhausting trying to keep pace with a horse's stride and we were pooped.



Lee dropped us off at the Expo grounds and 2 of his boys just couldn't hold it any longer.


It was a fun day. I'm going back tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you for the pictures!
    I was really curious of the arrangement. So nice of you to describe it and take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the pics HofC. I took my real camera today. Hopefully there are some good shots to post next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pics of a beautiful day! Wow that is some pool at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love Fjords. I'd really like to have one, one day, and try competitive driving.

    ReplyDelete